AMD has just introduced the 15W Ryzen 5000 C-Series “Zen 3” processors for premium Chrome OS devices designed for work and collaboration. The processors can with up to eight cores and sixteen threads and are said to offer all-day battery life.
AMD Ryzen 5000 C-Series processors for Chrome OS are expected to offer up to 67% faster responsiveness and up to 85% better graphics performance when comparing a Chromebook based on AMD Ryzen 7 5825C against an earlier model based on AMD Ryzen 7 3700C introduced in 2020 using respectively WebXPRT 3 and Motion Mark 1.2 benchmarks. Multitasking performance comparison using Geekbench 5 shows a 107% improvement that is probably mostly due to the doubling of the number of cores.
The AMD Ryzen 5000 C-Series ““Barcelo” family is currently comprised of four parts.
|MODEL||CORES/ THREADS||TDP||BOOST /BASEFREQ. (GHz)||GPU CORES||CACHE|
|AMD Ryzen 7 5825C||8C/16T||15W||Up to 4.5GHz/2.0GHz||8||20 MB|
|AMD Ryzen 5 5625C||6C/12T||15W||Up to 4.3GHz/2.3GHz||7||19 MB|
|AMD Ryzen 3 5425C||4C/8T||15W||Up to 4.1GHz/2.7GHz||6||10 MB|
|AMD Ryzen 3 5125C||2C/4T||15W||Up to 3.0GHz/3.0GHz||3||9MB|
We can look at the Ryzen 7 5825C other features for more details:
- Cache – 512KB L1 cache, 4MB L2 cache, 16MB L3 cache
- Supported Extensions – AES, AMD-V, AVX, AVX2, FMA3, MMX(+), SHA, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, SSE4A, SSSE3, x86-64
- Memory – 2 channels DDR4 for up to 64GB RAM (DDR4-3200 or LPDDR4x-4267), optional ECC
- Storage – 4x SATA ports, NVMe support
- DisplayPort Max Refresh Rates (SDR) – 3840 x 2160 @ 60Hz, 3440 x 1440 @ 144Hz, 2560 x 1440 @ 180Hz, 1920 x 1080 @ 240Hz
- HDCP 2.2
- USB Type-C DisplayPort Alternate Mode
- Multi-Monitor Support
- 4x native USB 3.2 Gen 2 (10Gbps) ports
- 4x native USB 2.0 (480Mbps) ports
- PCIe – 16 PCIe 3.0 lanes (20 in total by only 16 usable)
- Security, Virtualization, and Manageability – AMD Enhanced Virus Protection (NX bit)
- Process – TSMC 7nm FinFET
- CPU Socket – FP6
- Max. Operating Temperature (Tjmax) – 95°C
The first Ryzen 5000 C-Series Enterprise Chromebook is expected next month with the HP Elite c645 G2 Chromebook Enterprise based on the Ryzen 7 5825C processor scheduled to launch in June. It will be followed by the Acer Chromebook Spin 514, and other models later this year.
More details may be found in the announcement and the product page.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
Support CNX Software! Donate via PayPal or cryptocurrencies, become a Patron on Patreon, or buy review samples