MediaTek has introduced the Genio platform for AIoT devices, and unveiled the first chip of the Genio family with the Genio 1200 Octa-core Cortex-A78/A55 processor with a 4.8 TOPS NPU, 4K video support, and designed for premium AIoT products.
The chip is manufactured with a 6nm processor, is said to consume less than 8W, supports dual 4Kp60 video output and up to 48MP @ 30 fps video capture, and WiFi 6, Bluetooth 5.2 and 5G connectivity can be added through add-in chips. Targets applications include Smart Home appliances, HMI, industrial IoT, robotics, and more.
MediaTek Genio 1200 key features and specifications:
- CPU – Octa-core processor with four Cortex-A78 cores @ up to 2.2 GHz, four Cortex-A55 cores
- GPU – Arm Mali-G57 MC5 GPU
- Encoding up to 4Kp60 with H.265/HEVC
- Decoding up to 4Kp90, AV1, VP9, HEVC, H.264 codecs supported
- AI accelerator – Dual-core Mediatek AI processor (APU) with INT8, INT16, FP16 support, up to 4.8 TOPS
- DSP – HiFi 4 audio DSP
- System Memory – Up to 16GB LPDDR4X-4266
- Video I/F
- Dual display up to 4Kp60 + 4Kp60
- HDMI 2.0 Rx
- 48MP @ 30 fps single camera or 16MP + 16MP @ 30fps dual camera
- Ethernet – GbE MAC
- Wireless – Support for WiFi 6 + Bluetooth 5.2 and/or 5G modem modules
- USB – USB 3.1 and USB 2.0
- PCIe – PCIe 3.0 and PCIe 2.0
- Integrated PMIC
- Power consumption – < 8 Watts
- Process – 6nm
The NPU is best suited for AI workloads such as face recognition, object identification, scene analysis, OCR (optical character recognition), etc… MediaTek will provide Android and Ubuntu operating systems for the Genio 1200 platform, as well as support for the Yocto Project , and the company’s NeuroPilot SDK. Resources for software development can be found on the developer’s website.
Besides the high-end Genio 1200 premium processor, MediaTek also lists three other Genio processors:
- Genio 500 octa-core (4x Cortex-A73 + 4x Cortex-A53) processor for retail and commercial IoT applications that require high-performance edge processing and advanced multimedia capabilities.
- Genio 350 quad-core Arm Cortex-A53 processor for hubs in portable and home environments that require lighter vision and voice edge processing.
- Genio 130 Arm Cortex-M33 MCU for thin-OS and cloud-supported voice assistant devices that require an audio and microphone-orientated platform.
I suspect those will supersede earlier MediaTek AIoT SoCs such as the MediaTek i350 and i500.
MediaTek Genio 1200 will be available starting in H2 2022, but the company did not provide any ETA for Genio 500/300/130. More details may be found on the product page and press release.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.